ADOPTION PROCESS, GUIDELINES AND FEES
Novastar is dedicated to making sure the animal you adopt is the perfect match! We have dedicated foster parents and volunteers who work hard to make sure you find the best dog for your home. Adding a family member is a big decision and we look forward to being a part of that.
*We cannot guarantee the breed of our animals.
Our Adoption application is designed to ensure a good match between our adoptable animals and adopters. Before you begin the application, please read the following:
- Current pets, if any, must be spayed/neutered, up-to-date on shots and dogs must be on heartworm/flea/tick preventatives.
- Consider what animal you want to adopt and how it fits into your home and lifestyle. Research breeds, temperaments, energy levels and consider what works best for your household.
- If you rent, talk to your landlord about pet policies.
- Think of three personal references we can contact for your background check.
- Minimum age to adopt is 25 years old
- Talk to a trainer, dog walker, doggie daycare, etc. to have a plan in place for your dog's long-term happiness.
- INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!!!
Once your application is submitted, our volunteers will review it. We will:
- Contact your landlord, if you rent
- Contact your Vet (Please give them permission to speak to us, even if you’ve had dogs or cats in the past)
- Call your references
- Call you to talk about the animal of interest
- If possible-schedule a home visit
Our approval process generally takes 2 to 7 days. The most common delay to approving an application is not having permission to speak to your vet or being able to connect with your references.
Once your application is approved, we will request payment. Some of our dogs are located in loving foster homes or with Terre, the owner of the rescue, in Dover, Arkansas at the rescue. You must be willing to travel to pick up your dog from the rescue or one of our transport stops. If picked up at a transport stop an addition $150 will be added to the adoption fee.
We adopt each pet to the first approved and available adopter. The pet of your choice cannot be held or reserved. If we do not receive a response after approving an application we will move on to the next approved applicant.
Adoption Fees and Contract
At the time of adoption, you must complete our adoption contract and provide payment of our adoption fees (PayPal or Credit card over the phone to our account with one of our designated veterinary partners). All of our dogs will be spayed/neutered, age appropriately vaccinated, and heartworm tested (negative). Please feel free to ask any further questions.
Dog Adoption Fees:
- Seniors- 7 years of age and older: $100
- Adult dogs (1-7:) $200
- Puppies (up to 12 months of age): $295
- Transport fee of $150 will be added to above prices. Please contact us to see if we transport to an area close to you!
WHAT DO THE FEES PAY FOR?
We are commonly asked what an adoption fee contributes to. NOVASTAR vets EVERY ANIMAL THAT ENTERS THE RESCUE.
Here are common expenses for our rescue animals and their fosters:
- Spay/Neuter for all age appropriate dogs
- Age appropriate vaccinations and monthly heartworm and flea/tick prevention for all dogs
- Boarding and transportation costs
- While in our care, NOVASTAR provides food, medication, dental work, recommended blood work, heartworm treatment, crates, gates, you name it! Our adoptable animals and fosters are provided with anything and everything they need.
- GAS FOR TRANSPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are here for you! Please use us as a resource. Our rescue is enriched with very knowledgeable volunteers who are eager to help with behavior, house training, crate training, etc. We highly recommend seeking out a trainer in your area for professional advice, we may even know some!
Please remember that some of our dogs come from shelters in rural areas. Certain intestinal parasites may not present themselves while they are in our care. Worms are a common problem for dogs, especially young ones. They often require multiple dewormings to ensure they are worm free. This is why we recommend your newly adopted pet see your Vet within 2 weeks of adoption!
Our dogs are also up to date on flea/tick and heartworm prevention before you take them home. You must continue these monthly treatments as a condition of your adoption. Why? As a rescue, treatment of heartworms and Lyme disease can be very costly and a lot of time and resources are spent doing so. Heartworm and flea preventative is not provided to you after adoption.
If a medical concern arises, we may be able to help. Some conditions are not observed in a foster dog until they transition to a new home. We ask people to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if anything happens medically. We cannot guarantee reimbursement for vet bills or the health of a dog.
If you do not receive a copy of your records at the time of adoption, please email Adoptnovastar@gmail.com with the name of your pet and provide an email and mailing address. This will help us expedite the receipt of your records if they were not provided at the time of adoption.
Returning Your Pet
If anything prevents you from keeping your pet, regardless of how much time has passed since the adoption, you must contact Terre at email@example.com or message us via facebook.
The pet cannot be given away. You must either return them to us or obtain approval to transfer ownership to a friend or relative!